Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Oleg,

* Oleg Bartunov (obartunov@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > What might be interesting to discuss here is what more we can be doing
> > to make it clear that the PostgreSQL project is independent of any
> > single company and instead has contributions from many, not unlike the
> > Linux Foundation or the Python Foundation.
>
> This is what I always said in Russia, that our community is truly
> independent hardcore open source community.  Is there any plan for
> Postgres promotion at any major opensource conferences like Fosdem ?

Promotion of PostgreSQL at FOSDEM, specifically, is handled by PgEU,
similar to how promotion at SCALE in the US is handled by PgUS.

> We might submit a talk to main track and explain people the difference
> (philosophical) between Postgres and MySQL/MariaDB, for example.

That's certainly an interesting idea and the FOSDEM PG room is nearly
always completely full, so you're likely to get a good audience for such
a talk, assuming it gets accepted.  We could try to do something similar
at SCALE too.

Thanks!

Stephen