Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
* Josh berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> On 04/27/2016 01:50 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:

> >> The only thing would be PgLogical but I don't think it warrants exclusivity.
> >
> > Not entirely sure I'm following along correctly, but if we're talking
> > about tools being updated for 9.6, it seems likley that all of the
> > backup tools which use pg_start/stop_backup will be updated for the new
> > API.
>
> Damn, which means I need to test mine too.  Where are these changes
> documented?

The changes are to pg_start/stop_backup and their updated definitions
can be reviewed here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/functions-admin.html

Note that it's technically backwards compatible, however, the existing
exclusive backup approach is bad and may mean that the database doesn't
automatically recover from a crash which happens while the backup is
running.  All backup tools should be updated to the new APIs to avoid
that risk.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment