Re: Best filesystem for a high load db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Best filesystem for a high load db
Date
List pgsql-general
Re: Bill Moran 2014-11-25 <20141125111630.d05d58a9eb083c7cf80ed9f8@potentialtech.com>
> Anything with a journal is a performance problem. PostgreSQL effectivly
> does its own journalling with the WAL logs. That's not to say that there's
> no value to crash recovery to having a journalling filesystem, but it's
> just to say that our experience showed journaling filesystems to be slower.
> That rules out ext4, unless you disable the journal. I seem to remember
> ext4 with journalling disabled being one of the faster filesystems, but I
> could be remembering wrong.

If you are using a non-journalling FS, you'll be waiting for a full
fsck after a system crash. Not sure that's an improvement.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/