Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan Corbet
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:23:52 +1100
Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> It appears to me that we are seeing large memory machines much more
> commonly in data centers - a couple of years ago 256GB RAM was only
> seen in supercomputers. Hence machines of this size are moving from
> "tweaking settings for supercomputers is OK" class to "tweaking
> settings for enterprise servers is not OK"....
>
> Perhaps what we need to do is deprecate dirty_ratio and
> dirty_background_ratio as the default values as move to the byte
> based values as the defaults and cap them appropriately.  e.g.
> 10/20% of RAM for small machines down to a couple of GB for large
> machines....

I had thought that was already in the works...it hits people on far
smaller systems than those described here.
http://lwn.net/Articles/572911/

I wonder if anybody ever finished this work out for 3.14?

jon