pg-8.4: is it possible to recover not dumped data? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ennio-Sr
Subject pg-8.4: is it possible to recover not dumped data?
Date
List pgsql-novice
[Using pg-8.4 under Gnu/Linux-Squeeze]

Hi all!
I have stupidly deleted postgresql-common, postgresql-client and
postgresql-client-common (they where shown as version 9.1 while I was
running pg 8-4 driving me to this error).
After realizing (on reboot) I could not connect to my db I installed the
8.4 version of the 3 deleted pckgs and, after su-ing to postgres,
re-created the 'user'.

Now I can see the data directory (/var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main) is still
populated (I presume with all my data) but I am unable to access them.
Although I have a copy on my laptop (lacking only minor updatings) I
would like to know if there is any possibility to recover my data on PC.

if yes, would you please suggest a solution or some chapter to read?

Thanks for your attention. Regards,
     Ennio

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.   \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"  (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)