Re: pg_upgrade + streaming replication ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade + streaming replication ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:56:29AM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >> So how can you resume streaming without rebuilding the slaves?
> >
> > Oh, wow, I never thought of the fact that the system tables will be
> > different?   I guess you could assume the pg_dump restore is going to
> > create things exactly the same on all the systems, but I never tested
> > that.  Do the system id's have to match?  That would be a problem
> > because you are initdb'ing on each server.  OK, crazy idea, but I
> > wonder if you could initdb on the master, then copy that to the slaves,
> > then run pg_upgrade on each of them.  Obviously this needs some testing.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to just pg_upgrade the master, then setup the
> slaves from scratch (with rsync, etc)?  It certainly wouldn't be any
> more work to do it that way (although still a lot more work than
> simply running pg_upgrade on all servers).

Hey, wow, that is an excellent idea because rsync is going to realize
that all the user-data files are exactly the same and skip them --- that
is the winner solution.  I should probably add this to the pg_upgrade
documentaiton.  Thanks.