Re: Postgres for a "data warehouse", 5-10 TB - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Postgres for a "data warehouse", 5-10 TB
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Igor Chudov (ichudov@gmail.com) wrote:
> Can I partition data by month (or quarter), without that month being part of
> PRIMARY KEY?

The way partitioning works in PG is by using CHECK constraints.  Not
sure if you're familiar with those (not sure if MySQL has them), so
here's a quick example:

Create a parent table.  Then create two tables which inherit from that
parent table (this is more of an implementation detail than anything
else, the parent table is always empty, it's just there to be the
single, combined, table that you run your select queries against).  On
each of the two 'child' tables, create a CHECK constraint.  On table1,
you do:
  alter table table1 add check (date < '2000-01-01');
On table2, you do:
  alter table table2 add check (date >= '2000-01-01');

Once those are done, you can query against the 'parent' table with
something like:
select * from parent where date = '2010-01-01';

And PG will realize it only has to look at table2 to get the results for
that query.  This means the partitioning can be more-or-less any check
constraint that will be satisfied by the data in the table (and PG will
check/enforce this) and that PG can figure out will eliminate a partition
from possibly having the data that matches the request.

Technically, this means that you could have all kinds of different ways
your data is split across the partitions, but remember that all the
constraints have to actually be TRUE. :)  Typically, people do split
based on the PK, but it's not required (realize that PG doesn't support
cross-table PKs, so if you don't have CHECK constraints which make sure
that the tables don't cover the same PK value, you could end up with
duplicate values across the tables...).

> If this question sounds weird, I am asking because MySQL enforces this,
> which does not fit my data.

That part is a little strange..

> If I can keep my primary key to be the ID that I want (which comes with
> data), but still partition it by month, I will be EXTREMELY happy.

As I said above, the actual PK is going to be independent and in the
base/child tables.  That said, yes, you could have the PK in each table
be whatever you want and you use month to partition the 'main' table.
You then have to come up with some other way to make sure your PK is
enforced, however, or figure out a way to deal with things if it's not.
Based on what you've been describing, I'm afraid you'd have to actually
search all the partitions for a given ID on an update, to figure out if
you're doing an UPDATE or an INSERT...  Unless, of course, the month is
included in the PK somewhere, or is in the incoming data and you can be
100% confident that the incoming data is never wrong.. :)

> I am wondering, why?

Cost, and we had a real hard time (this was a while ago..) getting
Oracle to run decently on Linux, and the Sun gear was just too damn
expensive.  Also, ease of maintenance- it takes a LOT less effort to
keep a PG database set up and running smoothly than an Oracle one, imv.

> I could, say, set work_mem to 30 GB? (64 bit linux)

You can, but you have to be careful with it, because PG will think it
can use 30GB for EACH sort in a given query, and in EACH hash in a given
query.  What I would recommend is setting the default to something like
256MB and then looking at specific queries and bumping it up for those
queries when it's clear that it'll help the query and won't cause the
system to go into swap.  Note that you can set work_mem for a given
session after you connect to the database, just do:

set work_mem = '1GB';

in your session before running other queries.  Doing that won't impact
other sessions.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment