Re: oom_killer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: oom_killer
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Tory M Blue (tmblue@gmail.com) wrote:
> Is there anyone that could help me understand why all of a sudden with
> no noticeable change in data, no change in hardware, no change in OS,
> I'm seeing postmaster getting killed by oom_killer?

You would really be best off just turning off the oom_killer..  Of
course, you should probably also figure out what process is actually
chewing through your memory to the point that the OOM killer is getting
run.

> The dmesg shows that swap has not been touched free and total are the
> same, so this system is not running out of total memory per say.

There's probably something else that's trying to grab all the memory and
then tries to use it and PG ends up getting nailed because the kernel
over-attributes memory to it.  You should be looking for that other
process..

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment