Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles
Date
Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

activitywill be modest - a mix of single-record and fairly large (reporting) result-sets. Writes will be modest as well
butwill come in brief (1-5 second) bursts of individual inserts. The rate of insert requests will hit 100-200/second
forthose brief bursts.

andsplitting off the WAL traffic? Or something else?

> >> Totally agree!
> >
> > BBU first, more spindles second.
>
> Agreed.  note that while you can get incredible burst performance from
> a battery backed cache, due to both caching and writing out of order,
> once the throughput begins to saturate at the speed of the disk array,
> the bbu cache is now only re-ordering really, as it will eventually
> fill up faster than the disks can take the writes, and you'll settle
> in at some percentage of your max tps you get for a short benchmark
> run.  It's vitally important that once you put a BBU cache in place,
> you run a very long running transactional test (pgbench is a simple
> one to start with) that floods the io subsystem so you see what you're
> average throughput is with the WAL and data store getting flooded.  I
> know on my system pgbench runs of a few minutes can be 3 or 4 times
> faster than runs that last for the better part of an hour.

With a BBU you can turn off full_page_writes, which should decrease the
WAL traffic.

However, I don't see this mentioned in our documentation.  Should I add
it?