Re: I need information about PG-Day - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: I need information about PG-Day
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escribi?:

> > > Might I suggest doing a general Carribean PGDay?
> > >
> > > The folks in Cuba really want to hold a PGDay, but we can't send an
> > > American PostgreSQL Hacker to speak if they did.  If the PGDay in the DR
> >
> > I don't think that is true.  I was invited to speak in Cuba two years
> > ago but had a schedule conflict, but I did research at that time and
> > found that US citizens can attend professional conferences in Cuba:
>
> That might well be true -- however, the funds held by SPI Inc. on the
> behalf of PostgreSQL cannot be used to refund the travel expenses, which
> is what I think Josh is alluding to.
>
> (I know this very well because I'm travelling there later this month to
> teach a PG week-long course, and our liaison told me it was no use
> applying for a refund due to US govt. limitations.  So I have to pay for
> the expenses out of my own pocket.)

Uh, I actually don't see any mention in the government document about
funding issues.  My _guess_ is that the flight can be funded from the
USA, but not the payments in Cuba, like the hotel, but I never got far
enough to researching funding details.