Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 23 August 2009 4:03:58 pm Greg Stark wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > So in the case of analysts, it's a case of "can we influence this
> > analyst to produce a favorable report?  How much will it cost, and how
> > many people will it reach?"  Not an argument of "are analysts good or
> > bad."
>
> Well, how much would it cost? Can you outbid Oracle, Microsoft, and IBM?
>
> --
> greg
> http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

It is not a question of out bidding these companies. It is about having a
consistent message for when the PR firms come asking. And yes they can twist
the answer to serve their needs, the important part is they find Postgres
credible enough to contact in the first place. There is an old adage that
says 'it is only bad publicity if the don't spell you name right'. The key is
to get Postgres mentioned in the same breath as Oracle,IBM,Microsoft, etc.  In
the business world, if you are not a threat you are ignored. When companies
take the time to bad mouth you it is because they perceive a threat. It happens
enough times, other business are going to start asking why? That is when we
point them to the facts and the community.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net