Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
OK, so it seems we have gotten some good feedback from this thread.
Not surprising, some people don't like company advertising being
associated with the project, whether it be installers, web pages, or
maybe email signatures.  (No one has said they _like_ advertising.)
Many believe it is a necessary evil, but exactly what is too much
advertising seems subjective.

We have to craft some kind of policy for this, and the good news is that
we already have been operating with such a policy for a while, and it is
very simple.  If a majority consensus (our normal decision-making model)
don't like the advertising used by a company, we disassociate with that
company by removing links to them.

When have we ever done that, you might ask?  Well, we did it two weeks
ago to CertFirst:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2009-06/msg00241.php

You will read in that thread that the content vs. advertising ratio from
CertFirst was unacceptable and the decision was made to reject any
future training links from them as part of the moderators normal quality
control job:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2009-06/msg00251.php

There was not a huge discussion like we had here --- everyone on that
thread pretty much agreed, and we acted swiftly and decisively.

(However, it seems inappropriate CertFirst training events might have
crept into the training calendar again so I have to ask www about that
now, http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive).

Anyway, do we have consensus that we should remove links to the EDB
installer because of excessive advertising?  If we do remove links to
their installers, EDB could come back with more limited advertising and
try again to get listed, or they might not.

There are other approaches, like negotiating with them on minimum
advertising, but then we have to do that for Command Prompt, TinySofa,
and everyone else, and it would take lots of time, and would be a new
policy.