Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 02:03 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 July 2009 22:52:53 Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > For that matter, any opinions about whether to change the download
> > > page or not need to be informed by the question of what resources we'd
> > > lose if it's not hosted at EDB.com.  People need to know what they're
> > > voting on, and right now they don't.  Heck, I don't, so I wouldn't
> > > take a vote.
> >
> > All of this could clearly be solved if someone just took the EDB installer,
> > remastered it without the offending logos, and hosted it on a *.postgresql.org
> > server.
>
> That sounds very reasonable to me. Now that the feelings of many people
> have been expressed this should be achievable.
>
> Surely we are not in a position where a sponsoring company will refuse
> to make reasonable changes when requested by a significant number of
> people?

I have a better idea.  Simon why don't you create new multi-platform
installers, from scratch, and contribute them to the community with no
recognition to yourself or your company;  then EDB can reassign the
three staff members they have working on the installers to something
that more-directly generates revenue for EDB.

Assuming that EDB will continue funding 3+ people to create community
installers with no PR payback is unrealistic, similar to Josh Berkus's
comment of wanting "the moon in a box".  (See my recent posting about PR
payback.)

Greenplum used to work with us, and now they are mostly on their own;
is that what we want to happen with EDB?  Does that benefit the
community?