Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?
Date: ,
Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Laszlo Nagy)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Laszlo Nagy, )
 Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Merlin Moncure, )
   Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Robert Schnabel, )
  Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Laszlo Nagy, )
 Re: Why is my stats collector so busy?  (Tom Lane, )

Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> On a 8 processor system, my stats collector is always at 100% CPU.
> Meanwhile disk I/O is very low. We have many databases, they are
> accessed frequently. Sometimes there are big table updates, but in most
> of the time only simple queries are ran against the databases, returning
> a few records only. From the maximum possible 8.0 system load, the
> average load is always above 1.1 and from this, 1.0 is the stats
> collector and 0.1 is the remaining of the system. If I restart the
> postgresql server, then the stats collector uses 0% CPU for about 10
> minutes, then goes up to 100% again. Is there a way to tell why it is
> working so much?
>
> I asked this problem some months ago on a different mailing list. I was
> asked to provide tracebacks of the stats collector, but due to a bug in
> the FreeBSD ppid() function, I'm not able to trace the stats collector.

What version of Postgres are you using?

--
  Bruce Momjian  <>        http://momjian.us