Re: Explain XML patch v2 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Explain XML patch v2
Date
Re: Explain XML patch v2  ("Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
Re: Explain XML patch v2  (Tom Raney <raneyt@cs.pdx.edu>)
List pgsql-patches
Am Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2008 schrieb Tom Raney:
> This is an update to my EXPLAIN XML patch submitted a few days ago.

Could you explain how you came up with the XML schema design?  I suppose you
just made something up that went along with the existing XML output.

I would like to see more integration with the spirit of the existing XML
functionality.  For example, instead of things like

"<runtime ms=\"%.3f\" />\n"

we ought to be using XML Schema data types for time intervals and so on.

We might also want to use an XML namespace.

Table and index names should be escaped using the existing escape mechanism
for identifiers.  There might also be encoding issues.

It would also be interesting if EXPLAIN could optionally be a function that
returns a datum of type XML, to allow further processing.

Any thoughts on these issues?