Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > Greenplum sponsored my efforts to include Partitioning and Sort
> > > improvements into 8.1 and 8.2 respectively, and have contributed at
> > > least 3 other patches that the community has rejected (for whatever
> > > reason). IMHO, Bizgres was really their way of showing that useful work
> > > had been done, but I agree it is out of date now in many respects
> > > because and only because it hasn't been updated since 8.1.
> >
> > The bottom line is that Greenplum is fading farther and farther from
> > Postgres community involvement, as far as I can tell.  :-(
>
> I agree with that assessment. I don't think it's a desirable or
> unchangeable outcome, which is why I initially refused to attend the
> recent EnterpriseDB-sponsored developer meeting unless Greenplum people
> were also invited. I would like to see people encourage their
> participation.

I have been trying to get Luke Lonergan on the phone for a few months to
try to encourage him, but have still not talked to him --- not sure what
else I can do.

I saw Luke listed on the PGCon committee but didn't see any Greenplum
employees at the PGCon conference:

    http://www.pgcon.org/2008/committee.php