Re: PostgreSQL name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL name
Date
Re: PostgreSQL name  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 20 May 2008 01:29:08 Guido Barosio wrote:
> I was trying to find a thread where the discussion relied on the name,
> using PostgreSQL or just Postgres.
>
> AFAIK there was an agreement and PostgreSQL *won* that discussion, but
> I am unable to find that thread and I may be wrong. This comes to me
> because I was trying to push some *advocacy* stuff to the -es mailing
> list, and now I am not sure on how to proceeed.
>
> The case is that the .org FAQ explains that both names are just fine,
> and I am happy with that, but I seem to recall that PostgreSQL was the
> preferred option. Though, if this is the case we should change that
> from the site, right?

PostgreSQL is the official name of the project, but Postgres is considered an
officially accepted nickname. At this point that means that you should use
the name PostgreSQL when you are creating materials that will represent the
project (for example, the PostgreSQL website uses (or tries to use) the name
PostgreSQL throughout). HTH.

--
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} Postgre