Re: Anyone using a SAN? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: Anyone using a SAN?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:56:54AM -0600, Peter Koczan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're considering setting up a SAN where I work. Is there anyone using
> a SAN, for postgres or other purposes? If so I have a few questions
> for you.
>
> - Are there any vendors to avoid or ones that are particularly good?
>
> - What performance or reliability implications exist when using SANs?
>
> - Are there any killer features with SANs compared to local storage?
>
> Any other comments are certainly welcome.
>
> Peter

Peter,

The key is to understand your usage patterns, both I/O and query.
SANs can be easily bandwidth limited which can tank your database
performance. There have been several threads in the mailing list
about performance problems caused by the use of a SAN for storage.

Cheers,
Ken