Re: Sun buys MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Sun buys MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Lacking any
> > formal structure, it's difficult to surmise how something similar could
> > ever happen to PostgreSQL.  It seems to me that situation is at least
> > worth examining from time to time.
> >

> Do not agree. The main body of the community all agree that the "code"
> is best left without a formal body. If a company wants to buy into
> PostgreSQL they are going to have to do it the old fashion way, earn it.
>
> (code contribution, lots of contributors, lots of contributors, being a
> good community member, sucking it up when they are wrong)

Agreed.  Our current setup makes us almost destruction-proof.  If you
look at the databases which have declined since we started in 1996, you
can see this is a valuable attribute.

In fact if you look just at MySQL, MySQL has done some things that have
hurt their adoption.  While everyone makes mistakes, MySQL's hurtful
actions were done for motivations (profitability) which are not shared by
Postgres.