Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 07:57:32AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >>Right.  In the anti-spam world these days, very few people are doing
> >>reverse
> >>matching (that is, very few people compare the reverse lookup of the From:
> >>address to the domain of the MTA whence the mail is coming).  It'll be
> >>interesting to see what happens as SPF or DKIM -- the two loaded foot-guns
> >>of the mail world -- take off, because then signing practices will start
> >>be important, and I suspect we'll find that mail not signed with the right
> >>keys will all be classed as spam anyway.  So then you'll _have_ to use the
> >>domain's own mail servers, or things won't be signed correctly (because I
> >>assume that we're not going to be sharing the server's private keys widely
> >>:-)
> >
> >Yeah. I still don't see why you shouldn't be using the mailservers
> >belonging to the domain you're sending from.. ;-)
>
> That's silly. Do you have any idea how many mailservers I would have to
> have configured? If I auth to my main smtp... my email should be
> accepted, period.

As long as you send from your main address, yes.

(BTW, you only need to configure one mailserver. As long as *you* are sure
with it, that server would be configured to relay messages that it knew
were authenticated using smtp-auth to another server. It's not even
hard to do....)

//Magnus