Re: dell versus hp - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: dell versus hp
Date
List pgsql-performance
On November 9, 2007, Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Alan Hodgson wrote:
> > You can't touch RAID 10 for performance or reliability. The only
> > reason to
> > use RAID 5 or RAID 6 is to get more capacity out of the same
> > drives.
>
> Maybe you can't, but I can.  I guess I have better toys than you :-)

OK, I'll bite. Name one RAID controller that gives better write
performance in RAID 6 than it does in RAID 10, and post the benchmarks.

I'll grant a theoretical reliability edge to RAID 6 (although actual
implementations are a lot more iffy), but not performance.

--
The ethanol craze means that we're going to burn up the Midwest's last
six inches of topsoil in our gas-tanks.