Re: windows and pg 8.2 (change database to another server) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: windows and pg 8.2 (change database to another server)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:38:53PM +0200, Terry Yapt wrote:
> Magnus Hagander escribió:
> >On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 11:36:23PM +0200, Terry Yapt wrote:
> >>First of all.  I think this method is admisible. Isn't it ?
> >>

> >It is.
> >

> Glad to read it....  :-)
>
> >>And second question: I think my problem is that some rights are wrong
> >>after copying data folder.  What are the right rights to apply to data
> >>folder ?
> >>

> >Yes, most likely. You need to grant the postgres service account "Change"
> >permissions (or Full Control, but Change is recommended) on the data
> >directory. If you didn't do anything speicifically, it will just have
> >inherited from further up in the tree, which means that the service account
> >only has "Read" access.
> >
> >//Magnus
> >

> I have tried a couple of combinations.... none of them was successful.
>
> I have tried to assign 'Full Control' to data folder and sub-folders and
> files.  Varying this 'Full Control' preserving inheritance, deleting
> inheritance.  I have tried to assign 'Full Control' to Administrators
> and SYSTEM accounts/groups too.  I have tried to do the same thing over
> sub-folders, files and so on.

Your errors certainly indicate it's a permissions issue. You should also
veryfi that the read-only flag is not set on any of the files. I don't see
how it could become that, but if it is that'll give the same error.

Also, check the permissions on c:\, C:/Archivos de programa/ and all teh
way down the tree. The postgres service account needs read access there,
and write to data and below.

Permissions set for SYSTEM and/or administrators make no difference at all
to the server.

And yes, it shoul dbe set on the file and all subdirs. Use the checkbox to
overwrite all permissions on subdirs, that's the fastest way.

//Magnus