Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> In summary, looking at possible conclusions to this discussion, I think
> we have:
>
>     1) No change

+1. For non-English speakers, choosing "PostgreSQL" or "Postgres" does
make no difference from the marketing point of view since they are
foreign language for non-English speakers anyway. In another word,
changing to "Postgres" will give virtually no value to non-English
speakers, for example Japanese. Instead it will give us huge cost to
advertise the new name "Postgres" again. We have spent tons of effort
to make PostgreSQL popular in Japan since 1996, and have made the
current status of PostgreSQL in Japan (you know that PostgreSQL,
Oracle, MySQL have almost even share on Linux platforms in
Japan). Let's not to waste the work.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan