Re: [doc patch] a slight VACUUM / VACUUM FULL doc improvement proposal - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: [doc patch] a slight VACUUM / VACUUM FULL doc improvement proposal
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:09:26PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> > "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel 'at' decibel.org> writes:
> >
> > > On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:41:46AM +0200, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Unfortunately they are, to a degree. VACUUM FULL can create a
> > > substantial amount of churn in the indexes, resulting in bloated
> > > indexes. So often you have to REINDEX after you VACUUM FULL.
> >
> > Ok, VACUUM FULL does his job (it physically compacts the data and
> > might be useful in case of too long time with infrequent VACUUM),
> > but we are going to not talk about it because we often needs a
> > REINDEX after it? The natural conclusion would rather be to
> > document the fact than REINDEX is needed after VACUUM FULL, isn't
> > it?
>
> Maybe, but we should also mention that CLUSTER is a likely faster
> workaround.

What this boils down to is that there should probably be a separate
subsection that deals with "Oh noes! My tables are too big!"
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org