Re: how to plan for vacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: how to plan for vacuum?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Please cc the list so others can reply as well...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 08:45:50AM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 02:37:44PM +0900, Galy Lee wrote:
> >> 1.  How do we know if autovacuum is enough for my application, or should
> >>     I setup a vacuum manually from cron for my application?
> >
> > Generally I trust autovac unless there's some tables where it's critical
> > that they be vacuumed frequently, such as a queue table or a web session
> > table.
>
> You can tune thresholds and scale factors for that particular table
> using pg_autovacuum. If you lower them appropriately, the vacuum will be
> fired more often for that table - but don't lower them too much, just go
> step by step until you reach values that are fine for you.

That doesn't work well if autovac gets tied up vacuuming a very large
table. Granted, when that happens there are considerations about the
long-running vacuum transaction (prior to 8.2), but in many systems
you'll still get some use out of other vacuums.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net