Re: [HACKERS] Win32 WEXITSTATUS too - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Win32 WEXITSTATUS too
Date
List pgsql-patches
bruce wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> >
> > > Sure, ideally, but how else can we give information about that hex
> > > value?
> >
> > It's not the responsibility of that error message to tell someone to
> > go look up the error number in Microsoft documentation.  If they're
> > clueful enough to make any sense of the number beyond the strerror
> > translation we already provide, then they already know where to look.
>
> Well, it took me like 25 minutes to find that list, so it isn't obvious.
> Search for STATUS_CARDBUS_NOT_SUPPORTED, and you get only 75 hits on
> Google, and our URL is #7.  One idea Andrew Dunstan had was to print
> descriptions for the most popular values.  I asked him to give it a try
> once I applied this patch.
>
> > Even if it were the responsibility of the error message to suggest this,
> > a URL seems far too transient.
>
> It is a URL to the Wine CVS repository, so I assume it will be around for
> a while.  One thing we could do is copy that file to a URL on our web
> site and point error messages to that.  We could put the file in our CVS
> and point to that too.

FYI, here are the URL's I mention in our source code:

 *      Wine (URL used in our error messages) -
 *          http://source.winehq.org/source/include/ntstatus.h
 *      Descriptions - http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~wuyongzh/my_doc/ntstatus.txt
 *      MS SDK - http://www.nologs.com/ntstatus.html

--