Re: --single-transaction doc clarification - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: --single-transaction doc clarification
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 07:18:04PM -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 22:56 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > The man pages for VACUUM, CREATE TABLESPACE, CLUSTER and
> > REINDEX DATABASE don't mention they are not allowed inside a transaction
> > block at all
>
> That should be fixed, I think. Once that is done, I think it's
> sufficient to just say that --single-transaction won't work for commands
> that can't be executed in a transaction block.

"What commands aren't allowed in a transaction?" is still a logical
question to ask though, so it would be nice if we had such a list
hanging around.

Is there a standard way these commands test to see if they're in a
transaction block? If there is, perhaps something could be created that
would pull that info out of the code so that we didn't have to maintain
the list by hand. It might also be possible to do this with some SGML
magic.