Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good enough - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good enough
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Alex Turner (armtuk@gmail.com) wrote:
> First off - very few third party tools support debian.  Debian is a sure
> fire way to have an unsupported system.  Use RedHat or SuSe (flame me all
> you want, it doesn't make it less true).

Yeah, actually, it does make it less true since, well, it's really not
all that true to begin with.

What you're probably intending to say is that fewer companies say "Works
with Debian!" on their advertising material or list it as "officially
supported".  I've had *very* few problems running commercial apps on
Debian (including things like Oracle and IBM SAN management software).
Generally it's just take the rpms and either install them *using* rpm
(which is available in Debian...) or use alien to convert them to a
tarball and/or deb.

HP is actually pretty big into Debian and I'd be curious as to what the
problems installing the monitoring tools were.  My guess is that the
issue is actually some kernel module or something, in which case any
kernel that they don't build the module (or write it, depending..) for
may be problematic.  This would probably include some releases of
RedHat/SuSe (ES, Fedora, who knows) and pretty much any kernel you build
using sources off of kernel.org or for any other distribution unless you
know exactly what versions/patches they support.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like to continue this
discussion since I don't really see it as appropriate for this list.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment