Re: [HACKERS] pg_regress breaks on msys - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_regress breaks on msys
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > I checked on MinGW and system() just returns the value returned by the
> > > application.  There isn't any special two-values-in-one layering like is
> > > done on Unix for wait() and the return value from system().  It seems if
> > > the child dies from a signal, the parent dies too, at least in my C
> > > tests.
> >
> > The cases that I think we most need to defend against are
> >
> > (A) diff program not found
> >
> > (B) diff fails to read one of the input files
> >
> > I think your proposal handles case B, because diff should return exit
> > code 2 which we will detect, but what happens in case A?  Please test it.
>
> It returns 1.

In summary, on MinGW, files differ or 'diff' not found, returns 1.  If
one of the files to be compared does not exist, it returns 2.  And of
course, if the files are the same, it returns zero.

I assume MSVC builds will have problem with the diff call.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us