Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 2 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 2
Date
List pgsql-patches
Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >  2. Store the structures in AM's meta page. But heaps don't have meta pages.
>
> But perhaps they should? That sounds very similar to the idea of
> non-transactional pg_class data.

Presently, I suppose the parameters are not modified so many times.
They are set only on build time or maintenance.

I think we will need metapages in the future, but not right now. If we will
provide an automatic configurator for fillfactors (or other parameters),
parameters might be changed every time the configurator runs, for example,
per autovacuum.

> The metagpages thought would require some consolidation from various
> other proposals, so we'll need to wait for wider discussion on that.

I agree, but it is easy to move the metadata from catalog to metapages.
So the metapages thought can be reconciled among proposals that must need it.
(pg_class_nt and dead tuples bitmaps?)

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center