Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> > > Well western digital and Seagate both carry 5 year warranties. Seagate I
> > > believe does on almost all of there products. WD you have to pick the
> > > right drive.
> >
> > That's nice, but it seems similar to my Toshiba laptop drive experience
> > --- it breaks, we replace it.  I would rather not have to replace it.  :-)
> >
> > Let me mention the only drive that has ever failed without warning was a
> > SCSI Deskstar (deathstar) drive, which was a hybrid because it was a
> > SCSI drive, but made for consumer use.
>
> My damn powerbook drive recently failed with very little warning, other
> than I did notice that disk activity seemed to be getting a bit slower.
> IIRC it didn't log any errors or anything. Even if it did, if the OS was
> catching them I'd hope it would pop up a warning or something. But from
> what I've heard, some drives now-a-days will silently remap dead sectors
> without telling the OS anything, which is great until you've used up all
> of the spare sectors and there's nowhere to remap to. :(

Yes, I think most IDE drives do silently remap, and most SCSI drives
don't.  Not sure how much _most_ is.

I know my SCSI controller beeps at me when I try to access a bad block.
Now, that gets my attention.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us