Re: Documentation patch: change a name in a grammar rule - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Documentation patch: change a name in a grammar rule
Date
List pgsql-patches
Nicolas Barbier wrote:
> In for example set.sgml, just "name" is used for the exact same
> concept. I changed the patch so that "varname" is used, because
> "name" was already in use by this specific grammar. Maybe the usage
> of "var" makes it less clear indeed, for people that know that those
> things are always referred to as "parameters" and never as
> "variables".

A variable would be something that you store application data in,
whereas a parameter is some nondata value that influences your
calculations.  That's my recollection of how the terms are used in
mathematics.  So parameter is decidedly the better term than variable.
If that is confusing, make it config_param or something like that.

--
Peter Eisentraut