Re: Inserts optimization? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marc Cousin
Subject Re: Inserts optimization?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I hope I'm not going to say stupid things, but here's what i know (or i think
i know :) ) about bacula + postgresql

If I remember correctly (I allready discussed this with Kern Sibbald a while
ago), bacula does each insert in its own transaction : that's how the program
is done, and of course it works ok with mysql and MyIsam tables, as mysql
doesn't have transactions with myisam...

So, you'll probably end up being slowed down by WAL fsyncs ... and you won't
have a lot of solutions. Maybe you should start with trying to set fsync=no
as a test to confirm that (you should have a lot of iowaits right now if you
haven't disabled fsync).

For now, I only could get good performance with bacula and postgresql when
disabling fsync...