Basic Database Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Dey
Subject Basic Database Performance
Date
Re: Basic Database Performance  (Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com>)
Re: Basic Database Performance  (PFC <lists@peufeu.com>)
List pgsql-performance

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is a novice queston, but I think it is a performance one nevertheless. We are running a prototype of a system running on PHP/Postgresql on an Intel Xeon 2ghz server, 1GB RAM, 40GB hard drive, as a test bench. The system will be used for tens of thousands of users, and at the moment we are testing on a base of around 400 users concurrently during the day.

During the day, the system is incredibly slow to a point where it is unusable. The reason we are testing on such as small server is to test performance under pressure, and my estimation is that spec should handle thousands of users.

The server spikes from 5% usage to 95% up and down. The system is a very simple e-learning and management system and has not given us any issues to date, only since we’ve been testing with more users has it done so. The fact that 400 users doing inserts and queries every few minutes is very concerning, I would like to know if I could be tweaking some config settings.

We are running PG 7.4 on a Debian Sarge server, and will be upgrading to pg8.0 on a new server, but have some migration issues (that’s for another list!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All the very best,

James Dey

tel           +27 11 704-1945

cell          +27 82 785-5102

fax           +27 11 388-8907

mail        james@mygus.com

myGUS / SLT retains all its intellectual property rights in any information contained in e-mail messages (or any attachments thereto) which relates to the official business of myGUS / SLT or of any of its associates. Such information may be legally privileged, is to be treated as confidential and myGUS / SLT will take legal steps against any unauthorised use. myGUS / SLT does not take any responsibility for, or endorses any information which does not relate to its official business, including personal mail and/or opinions by senders who may or may not be employed by myGUS / SLT. In the event that you receive a message not intended for you, we request that you notify the sender immediately, do not read, disclose or use the content in any way whatsoever and destroy/delete the message immediately. While myGUS / SLT will take reasonable precautions, it cannot ensure that this e-mail will be free of errors, viruses, interception or interference therewith. myGUS / SLT does not, therefore, issue any guarantees or warranties in this regard and cannot be held liable for any loss or damages incurred by the recipient which have been caused by any of the above-mentioned factors.