Re: Certification and SRA - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: Certification and SRA
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On August 26, 2005 01:00 pm, Chris Travers wrote:
> >The second fact that I want to bring up concerns PostgreSQL certification
> > itself. The challenge we face is that at this time there is no community
> > derived certification for PostgreSQL..... how we develop a standard that will be of high quality and accepted by
thecommunity?

> How many people are interested in participating?  How do we get people
> to participate?

STEP ONE: debate the merits of creating a standards organization on this mail list

This I think is job 1. There's going to be respectful disagreement and I'd like to hear from everybody on this. I'm pro
standardsgroup, especially after seeing how well the BSD Certification Group have done their work.

STEP TWO (assuming there's enough consensus AND only minor disagreement): assemble a team creating a standards
organization

STEP THREE: get this team on chat and hash out the nitty gritty. I can ask the BSD Certification chair to sit in on a
chatsession and tell us their experiences.

> Will bsdcertification.org actually prepare their own certification
> exams?  Or will they have other companies do it?

Companies are being encouraged to run their own testing/certification infra-structure. The BSD Certification Group has
takenthe position that competition is good. What they want is to create a set of standards that others will use. Maybe
CompTIAwould be a valid example here.

If you can, I encourage to glance through the survey results but read the roadmap thoroughly. Every idea or issue that
youcan imagine regarding certification standards was covered (at least it sure seems that way).