Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Why not just put the mark into the public domain?  I think it might
> >> already be there.
> >
> > Well that was kind of my point about not being enforceable. The PostgreSQL
> > trademark would be almost impossible to enforce as it never
> > has been enforced.
>
> Until recently, the Linux trademark wasn't being enforced either, to the
> best of my knowledge ... obviously it doesn't take much to change that, if
> this initiative that is being discussed is making headway ...

Well, the Linux Trademark Institute has been around for a long time, and
I have seen places where they state that the Linux trademark is owned by
Linus.

I think in this case they are doing much more damage to Linux by
enforcing the trademark than the possible damage caused by negative use
of the trademark.

I am worried about companies being scared to promote PostgreSQL because
of trademark concerns.