Re: Postgresql and xeon. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Postgresql and xeon.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:19:40AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Search the archives of this list.   This has been discussed ad nauseum.
> www.pgsql.ru

I must admit I still haven't really understood it -- I know that it appears
on multiple operating systems, on multiple architectures, but most with Xeon
CPUs, and that it's probably related to the poor memory bandwidth between the
CPUs, but that's about it. I've read the threads I could find on the list
archives, but I've yet to see somebody pinpoint exactly what in PostgreSQL is
causing this.

Last time someone claimed this was bascially understood and "just a lot of
work to fix", I asked for pointers to a more detailed analysis, but nobody
answered.  Care to explain? :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/