Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date
Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > OK, I googled for "Software Patents" and found this URL:
> >
> >     http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
> >
> > In English, on the first page, I see this text:
> >
> >     If that happens, you will pay dearly. Europe's software industry will
> >     fall victim to unscrupulous extortioners. A cartel of large corporations
> >     will crush smaller competitors. Consequently, we will all pay more money
> >     for less good and less secure software. You personally, your household,
> >     your company, your government, all of us.
> >
> >     You'll know when you get the bill. When someone breaks into your
> >     computer, reads your E-mails, and steals the password of your bank
> >     account. When your computer crashes every day. When spam doesn't stop.
> >     When prices go up and companies shut down. When people lose their jobs.
>
> Well I think both paragraphs are ridiculous. Phrases like:
>
> fall victim to unscrupulous extortioners.
>
> Eliminate their credibility.
>
> I am not suggesting we join some external movement. I am suggesting we
> create our own (in sense) to the PostgreSQL community.

OK, I suggest you write something up, just a few sentences, and post it
to this list.  Once you get OK, you can post it to the New web site and
it will be approved.