Re: Postgres: pg_hba.conf, md5, pg_shadow, encrypted passwords - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Postgres: pg_hba.conf, md5, pg_shadow, encrypted passwords
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
> The docs say: "only md5 supports encrypted passwords stored in
> pg_shadow; the other two require unencrypted passwords to be stored
> there."  So either your assertion that 'password' auth does not imply
> plaintext password storage is wrong, or the docs are.

The docs are wrong.  Sorry, I knew that and forgot to mention it
explicitly previously.  Using 'password' in pg_hba.conf while using
'with encrypted password'/md5 in pg_shadow works just fine.

Just tested here to make 100% sure, under 8.0.1.
Thanks,
    Stephen