Re: Problem with PITR recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > The wal file could be truncated after the log switch record, though I'd
> > want to make sure that didn't cause other problems.
>
> Which it would: that would break WAL file recycling.

Good point. I don't see non-full WAL archiving as a problem for the
backup or shutdown, but I do see an issue with doing archives every X
seconds.  If someone sets that really low (and someone will) we could
easily fill the disk.  However, rather than do it ourselves, maybe we
should make it visible to administrators so they know exactly what is
happening and can undo it in case they need to recover, something like:

archive_command = 'gzip <%p >%f'

so the compression is done in a way that is visible to the
administrator.

Pennsylvania19073