Re: Forking vs. Threading - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Enrico Weigelt
Subject Re: Forking vs. Threading
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
* Bryan Encina <bryan.encina@valleypres.org> wrote:

<big_snip>
> MySQL and Firebird use threads and Postgres forks.  Forking is ok,
> unless you have many database connections.  The more connections the
> more processes.  I noticed while profiling an application that every
> connection alone was taking over 1MB of memory.  This based on the
> process per connection gripe I have.

Thats not a noticable problem.

Fork() of course takes a while, but at least on Linux it is not as
expensive as one might expect (like, lets say, windows). On Linux
(up to 2.4) creating a new thread is exactly forking, but w/o copying
segment descriptors and fd's. On a normal fork(), most things are shared
w/ copy-on-write - so a fork is practically not more expensive than
pthread_create().
Well, thats at least the case for linux up to 2.4, for other platforms
I cant say much.

With forked processes you have separated data pages, so you dont have
to take care of locking of stuff which isn't really in shared memory.
This makes coder's life much easier (less errors), saves much time
consumed by locking otherwise and also allows to put many things directly
into the data segment, thus better performance again (on various hw
architectures, direct+absolute addressing is much faster than indirect)

> So, Postgres, sure I like it, but as far as a major DBMS goes, I think
> it is limited by it's memory usage.  That's just my opinion on the
Every RDBMS is limited by its memory usage :)
Such things just take much memory (if the should be fast). Assuming,
modern kernels do copy-on-write on/after fork, it shouldnt be such a issue.

> matter.  However, it is a fact that it forks (forking takes more time
> and more resources than threading).  One benefit in forking is the same
Does it really ?
I cant imagine, where so much time goes by on fork() (at least on linux).

> reason Apache forks( memory leaks can be minimized).  However, I think
> if a DBMS has that bad of a memory leak....I won't use it.
Well, psql *did* have a memleak (IMHO it was 7.1 which crashed on some
special kind of rewrite rules), but its long ago :)
But thats not the (only) point.
Using different processes has also some other advantages (as stated above).
Since the MMU of modern CPUs can do memory protection, we should use it :)

If you talk about the apache httpd, we shouldn't forget, that there're
several MPMs out there: i.e. prefork + perchild for process-based,
threadpool + worker for thread-based. Both have pros and cons.
The MT-MPMs are sometimes a little bit faster, since they reuse many
resources, i.e. let one thread handle multiple requests or have some
spare threads laying around waiting for connects.
But this can also be done with an MP-architecture.

Probably this shouldn't be such an hard job for implementing it in psql.

> I like to advocate Firebird as much as possible.  It runs on many
> platforms and seems to be pretty scalable as far as connections and
> usage goes, and it has a very flexible license as well.
Flexible license ?
I didn't read the text yet, but from what I heared, I dont really know
what I'm allowed to do and what not. Couldn't they just use some
established and well-known license ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de