Re: Urgent help needed for press contact - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Schilling
Subject Re: Urgent help needed for press contact
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Happy to help out.  I have some good case studies:

http://www.thenew-hometeam.com is run on a postgres database.  We never exceed 10 seconds retreival time on queries on
thedatabase.

> -time to install (in hours) (talk about a stupid question!)

Average time: 10-30 minutes.

> - hot backup: do we support that? (I'm not quite sure what is meant by
> that: replacing a database with its backup without losing a single
> transaction?)

yes - we support it in our operations.  All databaes are backed up on spare drives, and we can bring a database back up
inless than 30 minutes in a worst case scenario.

> - replication: I mentioned eRserver. Should I mention something else?
> - the 3 strongest points

pick three: JDBC and ODBC drivers are free, use of genetic algorithms, access to original developers, wide availability
ofskillset, excellent software engineering choices by the designers, compact size, robustness

> - the 3 weakest points

NOTE: These are probably the weakest points from the standpoint of the average enterprise customer (e.g. Microsoft SQL
customers)lack of more tools like pgAccess, high level of skill required to finetune (which I don't mind either), and
lackof a native Windows executable build (which I don't mind).

> - minimal configuration in CPU, RAM and disks

see recommended hardware.  I've run this on a 486 with less than 500 mb of disk space and 128 MB of RAM.

> - max number of databases, records, record size, simultaneous

not sure - haven't hit a maximum yet.  We're at several dozen at this point.  Note, Microsoft SQL can usually only
handleone or two large databases at once.

> connections
> - memory footprint per connection

not sure - it's documented in the installation notes for the Sun boxes.

> - max number of SQL queries per second (that sounds ridiculous, it
> really depends on what query)

I would guess, on a small query several thousand into the tens of thousands.

> - number of users in the world

I would take the number of downloads and multiply by a factor of 20-50.