Re: replication: PG vs My - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Martin Sarsale
Subject Re: replication: PG vs My
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> On Tuesday 15 July 2003 07:38 pm, Martin Sarsale wrote:
> > Dear all: we're trying to choose a db for our site. We're a little bit
> > worried about the load of the server so we were thinking in some kind of db
> > cluster.
> >
> > Mysql has a built-in way to do this but I found that pg relies on external
> > utilities. How good are they? Are they ready for production-servers?
> >

> Well, there are a lot of external replication solutions available, so saying how good they are depends on which one
yourdiscussing.  I have heard anectdotal evidence about all (most anyway) of them being used in production situations,
butI don't think any of them have had extensive testing.  There is a commercial replication solution that has had
extensiveenterprise use available at http://www.erserver.com/. The company plans to open source it "real soon now" but
asof yet you need a commercial license for it (which comes with support, so might be a good deal for you).

we only want free (as in speech) software :)

which solution would you recommend?

> I also have to mention that postgresql tends to scale a lot better than mysql so youre far less likely to need
replicationfor scaleability, especially in multi-user, multi-write type environments.  This is one of the reasons that
it'staken so long for postgresql to get a "built in" replication solution, the need isn't strong enough to get the itch
scratched.

we don't exactly know how much users/querys we'll have, but we're afraid of having problems with only one DB server.
Probablywill never add another DB server, but we would like to have the chance to do it, if we want to.