Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Tom Lane wrote:
> > So, my idea is to add a message at the end of initdb that states people
> > should run the pgtune script before running a production server.
>
> Do people read what initdb has to say?
>
> IIRC, the RPM install scripts hide initdb's output from the user
> entirely.  I wouldn't put much faith in such a message as having any
> real effect on people...

Yes, that is a problem.  We could show something in the server logs if
pg_tune hasn't been run.  Not sure what else we can do, but it would
give folks a one-stop thing to run to deal with performance
configuration.

We could prevent the postmaster from starting unless they run pg_tune or
if they have modified postgresql.conf from the default.  Of course,
that's pretty drastic.