Re: bytea HISTORY updates - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: bytea HISTORY updates
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Done, but didn't we use to allow \0 for NULL, while we now require \000?

> Thanks!
>
> I thought I had the \0 to \000 change covered by:
>
>  >>Add:
>  >>
>  >>Bug Fixes
>  >>  bytea \### now requires valid three digit octal number

Oh, I read that as meaning it now requires _valid_ three digit octal
number.  It really means requires _valid_ _three_ digit octal number.
I get it.

> The issue before was that, not only was something like \0123 ambiguous
> (is this \0 followed by the literal 123, or \012 followed by the literal
> 3?), but also that something like \129 could be input. See:

Yes, that was the issue of requiring three digits.  I just read Perl
guesses based on the context.  Sorry, don't want to go there.  :-)