Re: encoding names - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: encoding names
Date
Re: encoding names  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
> > Then the server needs to look at the protocol number to decide what to
> > send back.  But we need to be able to move forward with the encoding names
> > sooner or later anyway.
>
> I'm not sure if we are going to raise the FE/BE protocol number for
> 7.2.

We are not, as far as I know.  I have made my changes without doing
that.

However, this brings up the issue of how a backend will fail if the
client provides a newer protocol version.  I think we should get it to
send back its current protocol version and see if the client responds
with a protocol version we can accept.  I know we don't need it now, but
when we do need to up the protocol version number, we are stuck because
of the older releases that can't cope with this.