Re: Australian timezone configure option - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Australian timezone configure option
Date
List pgsql-patches
> > I checked and it caches a pointer to the struct, not the values
> > themselves, and we don't change the structure, just the secondary values
> > and not the key used by the bsearch.
>
> Now I'm going to object LOUDLY.  You cannot convince me that the above
> is a good implementation --- it's a complete crock, and will break the
> instant someone looks at it sidewise.
>
> My inclination would actually be to rip out the cache entirely.  bsearch
> in a table this size is not so expensive that we need to bypass it, nor
> is it apparent that we are going to see lots of successive lookups for
> the same keyword anyway.  How long has that cache been in there, and
> what was the motivation for adding it to begin with?

OK, what do we do with this patch now?  We have several Australians who
want it and most like it as GUC rather than a configure option.  I don't
want to add lots more code because I think the GUC capability is simple
enough.   I can remove the CACHE stuff but only if Thomas agrees.