Re: MySQL file system - Mailing list pgsql-general

From J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)
Subject Re: MySQL file system
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 22:21:19 -0500, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> So what is needed it to be able to mount a .zip or a .tar file as a file
> system with the loopback device.

For Linux, there used to be a "userfs" that allowed this kind of thing.
AFAIK development stopped quite some time ago, as there were numerous
problems with deadlocks.

> Mounting a database on the filesystem sounds pretty useless to me.

Depends on the database, I guess. There is a succesful configuration
management system that uses a database as its backend and exports
trees/branches/versions via NFS. This combines the ease of use of a
filesystem (rather than "projects" in some IDE) with the reliability
(transactions) provided by a DBMS.

Ray
--
"Never trust a poll you haven't rigged yourself."