Re: more or less spontaneous reboots with Suse 6.4 / Postgresql 7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: more or less spontaneous reboots with Suse 6.4 / Postgresql 7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-general
* Nils Zonneveld <nils@casema.net> [000925 14:43] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Suse Linux 6.4 (kernel 2.2.14) and when I'm executing SQL
> statements in batch to postgresql (like: psql db < schema.sql) I have a
> fair chance that Linux reboots. No entries about the mishap are logged
> in the postgres logfile and neither in /var/log/messages. There's no
> telling when it exactly happens but when one of the statements contains
> an error the chance is really high that the system reboots.
>
> I have no idea if Postgres is to blame or the linux kernel. I have to
> admit that I'm still using the generic kernel, but I think it is a bit
> silly that a user process like postmaster could bring the whole server down.
>
> If anyone has had a simulair experience and found a solution I would
> like to know about it.

Can't you get a traceback or crash dump with the Linux kernel?

And no, postgresql shouldn't be able to trash/crash your system
unless you have it configured in such a way that it can exhaust
all resources.