Re: Patch to make postmaster bind to only to localhost. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Patch to make postmaster bind to only to localhost.
Date
List pgsql-patches
> All,
>
> I thought I would through in my 2c into this discussion,
>
> First: Bruce, I believe you said earlier that we don't even fire
> up a back end before we reject them.  From what I could see from
> a strace, the pg_hba.conf file is never open from the postmaster,
> so I am not sure how this can be.
>
> I will look more into this later to thuroughly verify this statement.

I can assure you that the postmaster reads the pg_hba.conf, and no
database access is performed for validation.  In fact, we go though
great hurtles to enable this.  The dump of pg_shadow to a flat file is
just one of the things we have to do so the postmaster can do its job
with no database access.